Sunday 30 November 2014

Hairy Phonics Animatic and Animation

I've been really enjoying working on a number of short animations for Nessy Learning over the past few months.  Hopefully I'll be able to show some of them on here soon.  In the meantime I thought I'd write a post about the working process.

I start off by doing a few pages of scribbles like this, just for the purposes of discussing the idea.  The animation in question here is an intro for an upcoming app called Hairy Phonics.


Once the idea has been approved I sometimes do a storyboard, but these days because of strict time and budget constraints I move straight to animatic stage.  For this I assemble a rough sound track, very rough sketches and some crude animation in to a short video that I can send to the animator as a guide.


I then draw out the backgrounds, characters and props on a computer program (Illustrator) and finally pass everything on to an animator (in this case Oli Knowles).  And the final result:


No comments:

Post a Comment